Holiday Fire Safety Tips

Wood Burning Fireplace



  • Never, ever use flammable liquids such as gasoline to start your fire.
  • Always use the fireplace screen to prevent flying sparks from entering the room
  • Never burn gift wrapping or boxes.  They burn much too quickly.
  • Be sure to have the chimney cleaned and the flue checked at least once a year.
  • Always have an open window and and good, working carbon monoxide detector in the room




  • There is a tendency to overload outlets this time of year.  This is unsafe.
  • Inspect all your cords before using them.  You should look for frayed or exposed wires and lose connections.
  • Always be sure to insert the plugs fully into the sockets.
  • Do not coil extension cords or place them under carpets to avoid over heating.






Grease fires are a leading cause of holiday kitchen fires, so be very careful when cooking with grease or fat.  Here is what to do if a pan catches fire with grease:


  • Turn off the heat.
  • Try smothering the flames with a pot lid (NOT a glass lid however).
  • Try baking soda if you have plenty, but do not use flour as it can explode.
  • Do not turn on the overhead fan.
  • It is a GREAT idea to have a chemical fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
  • NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, ever throw water on a grease fire.  Click on the link below to see video of the result.





make certain that your smoke detectors are in good working order!


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Data is supplied by Pillar 9™ MLS® System. Pillar 9™ is the owner of the copyright in its MLS®System. Data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by Pillar 9™.
The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.