On February 1, 2014 some new rules came into effect for New Home Warranties in Alberta. From now on, builders will be required to provide new home warranty coverage that is significantly better than before on every new home built. Single Family Homes, Duplexes, Multi Family, Condominiums, Manufactured Homes and Recreational Properties will all be covered.
The new warranty will provide coverage for:
- 1 year for labour & materials
- 2 years for the delivery systems (electrical, plumbing & heating)
- 5 years for the building envelope (roof, exterior shell and walls), and
- 10 years for the key structural components such as frame and foundation
There are five providers of warraties that your builder may partner with. They are:
- National Home Warranty Group Inc.
- Blanket Home Warranty Ltd.
- Progressive Home Warranty Solutions Inc.
- The Alberta New Home Warranty Program
- Travelers Insurance Company of Canada
The Government of Alberta has posted a web site, http://www.homewarranty.alberta.ca/ with plenty of information that also includes a series of videos.
There is also a New Home warranty Registry as described in the final video.
This is good news for buyers of a new home in Alberta.
By Bing Fountain